Thursday, October 27, 2011

Real Life with Paychecks Lane

I am employed!!!  Thanks to everyone for the good vibes they were sending my way!

After my first interview, I went in the following week for my second interview. I needed to bring in my portfolio (which wasn't nearly ready) so I worked for about 2 days to get it done then I sent it to FedEx Office to get printed. They have a great online printing service where you can customize and get it just the way you want it. So I sent it and waited for my confirmation email. I've had tons of portfolios just like this printed so I know how long it should take to make. At 8am the morning of my interview, when I still hadn't gotten my confirmation email, I just decided to drive to pick it up, because they must have just forgotten to send it, right? When I got to FedEx, all the lights are off (its open 24 hours!!) and there is a sign on the door: "We have lost power and will reopen soon. Sorry for the inconvenience." All nonchalantly like that. Like they had no idea what I was supposed to be doing in two and a half hours... "Sorry, my bad" says the FedEx.

I went home, got my phone ('cause I forget it, of course), and called the location that was farther away. The lady was nice and said she would reprint my portfolio. So I got ready, drove to pick it up, and I made it to my interview with 10 minutes to spare. Ugh. Never again.

Anyways, I met with the head of the design department and we talked for about an hour and a half.  He gave me a tour of the office and I met a lot of the people I would be working with.  At the end of our interview, I asked what the next step would be, and low and behold, a third interview. Bleh.  I think I'm getting really good at these.

At that one (which was basically 3 mini interviews), I met with 3 sets of people from the design team.  The first time I met with two Senior Interior Designers, then I met with two architects, then I met with the Design Manager and the Selections Designer.  It took about 2 hours and was a little bit exhausting, but fun. About a day and a half later I got my offer letter, which made it seem so much more real.  I start on November 7th and I am excited and nervous.  More nervous than I was in the interviews. Is that weird?

Nick and I feel like we are at a crazy point in our lives.  Like we've been traveling on this one road for so long, I call it Poor College Student Drive, and now were about to make a sharp left turn onto Real Life With Paychecks Lane.  It's exciting. :)

1 comment:

  1. "Like we've been traveling on this one road for so long, I call it Poor College Student Drive, and now were about to make a sharp left turn onto Real Life With Paychecks Lane."

    I love this! Cute :) You make me proud, and I'm glad you blog. Haha. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete