Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What a Weekend!!


As I mentioned in the last post I spent all of Thursday applying for jobs.  I applied to everything I could find that was even remotely related.  Of course I got a call for an interview at a furniture/home goods retailer (pottery barn-ish).  I am over qualified for the job but thought I would go and interview for the experience.  It was weird.  For one, I am not sure why the store manager would schedule an interview on a Saturday when they are having a sale.  I got there and it was so busy that she thought it would be better to interview me by the register at one of the display dining room tables.  About half-way through she left to man the register and her assistant manager (who may have been younger than me) took over the interview.  She had no idea what she was doing, so we just started talking about outlet shopping...???  Finally the manager hollered over from the register and said it was just too busy to continue and that she would call.  I think they knew I wasn't going to take it. 

The funny thing is that Thursday night, when Nick and I were talking about what I needed to get ready for the interview I realized I didn't have anything to wear because it was all packed on the truck with everything else.  But Friday we got a call from the mover saying he would be there at 9:30 or 10 the next morning to drop off our stuff!  I didn't want to chance it with the clothes so I went and got something to wear at the mall, but figured there was plenty of time for the movers to get stuff in before I had to leave so I didn't buy shoes.  Surely they would have unloaded all the boxes by then.  Well, 10 o'clock comes and the movers aren't there yet.  They call and say they'll be there in 45 minutes which means I only have 2 and a half hours before I have to leave.  By 1 o'clock they have moved in a ton of stuff and only one box.  My box of shoes.  Phew!

It so was wonderful not having to move anything.  Nick was in charge of inventory.  Everything, and I mean everything, was marked with a numbered sticker and Nick checked them off the list as it was brought inside.  Now we've been unpacking and it's not fun.  Why is it that it always takes so much longer than you think it is going to??  There are boxes and shreds of packing paper everywhere.  Plus the kitchen looks as if all of our boxes of dishes have exploded everywhere. It's been weird unpacking into this house though.  Nick and I combined have moved countless times and wehave always had a transient mind-set.  We never imagined ourselves in a place longer than a year.  But here is different.  This is where we will be until we buy a house.  It feels more permanent and its nice. 

Sunday afternoon we were invited to our next door neighbors house who are an older retired couple.  Sam and Inge.  Sam is Slovic and Inge is German.  They are hilarious, extremely well traveled, and I think she was a professional skiier.  They met while he was stationed in Germany with the Army.  They have been living here in their house for 40 years and they love it.  Every year they throw an Okoberfest party complete with costumes, an acordian player, and homemade German food (pretzels, brats, and desserts)!  Oh yeah and beer, lots of beer.  We had a really great time getting to know all of their friends and neighbors.  I think we were the youngest people (not including the neighborhood kids) and it was a blast.  I got contact information from 3 people, one of which is hiring me to do some freelance work in her house.  Sa-weet!

Also, my birthday is in ten days and we are having our first visitors!  Malory and Philip are coming and we are going to watch the Braves play the Nationals here in DC!  I cannot wait.




2 comments:

  1. Kim! I'm so glad you have this blog! Those movers really were thorough. And I can totally imagine the pottery barn-ish scene. Have a great time with your company and I can't wait to hear more about the couple next door!

    ReplyDelete