Sunday, July 22, 2012

Check this out Y'ALL...

Last weekend was the first weekend in four weeks (UPDATE: Nick thinks it has been closer to six weeks!) where we weren't traveling and didn't have visitors. Our list of things that we really wanted to do got long quick, but whatevs, we got some of it done. :) So in honor of my and my friend Liz's dream to quit our jobs, win Craft Wars and make millions via Etsy, here is what I've been up to lately. 


Project 1: Refinish Table


My dad bought me this table in high school.  It came with a little stool (stand-by, that's next on my list!) and I used it as a desk/vanity in high school and college. Now it sits at our front door and really needed some love.  You can see that one knob was missing.



I took it all apart and sanded every inch, wiped it down and put it back together. Then used an all-purpose primer and gave it three really thin coats.


I think this was after coat two...
Then I started with the paint! I used Martha Stewart's Punch in a semi-gloss latex. What I like about the latex is that when you use it with a primer, it dries quickly. What I don't like about the latex is that it doesn't have the "self-leveling" of the oil-based paints. I did two coats of paint and lightly sanded the top between coats.




After the paint dried, I did three coats of a semi-gloss polyurethane (with another light sand before the last coat). And then hardware....TADA!


Project 2: Jewelry Holder

This is a pinterest-inspired-desperately-need jewelry holder. Until last weekend, all of my jewelry was either piled on my night stand or pilled in a box.  Nick and I went to the Habitat ReStore and we picked up a bunch of wood flooring (spoiler alert for Project 4-ish due soon). I used three wide plank pieces and glued the tongue-and-groove joints together and nailed paint sticks to the back to keep it together. The under-side of the wood planks were the top of the jewelry holder


Juno was a big help :)

I used Minwax Jacobean stain to stain the wood. I thought I'd need more than one coat, but NOPE! Gotta love it when that happens.


Now, this is where I cannot take the credit. In the piece I saw on pinterest, they used cabinet hardware as the jewelry holder and I thought it was GENIUS! I only bought just what I needed for now, but there is definitely room to grow for more!


The cup pulls hold stud earrings and rings


Project 3: BIKE RACK!!

Nick was also busy finally getting my one and his three bikes off the floor in our office (which has really just been a storage room). He did such a great job and I am so excited that we are slowly getting this room back in order!


Project 4+: Here's on the menu for what I'll be doing soon/eventually
  • Wall art for bedroom
  • Stool to ottoman? I'm not making any promises...
  • Homemade tiki torches for backyard (we finally got outdoor furniture and naturally its rained everyday)
  • Other painted furniture I have yet to find on craigslist
  • AND...my Etsy goldmine that Nick and I came up with (I just need a sewing machine)
I'll see you soon blog friends. :)

3 comments:

  1. awesome, all of it! i especially love how helpful juno was in making the jewelry holder. :-) it's tough to have such fun stuff on your to-do list and not be able to see it through. so glad you were able to make it happen!! can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day, we will be crafty millionaires ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your bikes being off the floor...

    ReplyDelete